Sunday 16 March 2014

Moong dal halwa


The first time I had this halwa was at +Angeethi, a get together with my friends some years back. I was not much into cooking at that time, hence did not try. After marriage, my husband had it in some restaurant and he did not like its taste. So whenever I wanted to make it, I was highly discouraged by him. But I was hell bent on making it, and made it on Holi. I super liked its taste, and to my surprise my husband was also floored. He had to change his opinion about Moong dal halwa. So guys, go ahead and have a colourful Holi!!.

I did not have saffron at home, so used kesar yellow food colour. Those of you who have it, soak it in warm milk and add to the recipe.

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Servings: 5

Ingredients:

Yellow Moong dal: 1 cup
Ghee: 6 tbsp
Cashew nuts: 10
Milk: 1 cup
Cardamom powder: 1 tsp
Sugar: 1 1/4 cup
Saffron strands few

Method:

  1. Soak moong dal for 5 hours, drain it and make a coarse paste.
  2. Heat ghee in a kadai, fry the cashew nuts and keep aside. Add moong dal paste and fry till golden brown on a low flame.
  3. Add boiled milk, cardamom powder, kesar yellow colour and stir it continuously till all the milk is absorbed.
  4. Add sugar and cook till the ghee separates.
  5. Garnish with cashews and serve hot.
Notes:
  • You can add little water while making moong dal paste. But take care you don't add too much of it. If the water becomes excessive after grinding, strain it. 
  • Garnish with dry fruits of your choice.



No comments:

Post a Comment